7 Dec 2006

"Indian flying pancake" 印度飞饼

Let me present you the "Indian flying pancake" inventory in my freezer!

Ha ha! yeah, you bet. This is what I have in store, frozen roti canai air-flown to Guangzhou from Kuala Lumpur!

I love roti canai, the kosong (plain) one specifically. In Hong Kong, I can get it easily from nearby a Malaysian restaurant whenever I crave for it, costs me HK$18 per piece. Really feeling the pinch each time I eat it, knowing that I am being ripped off by paying 10 times of the price in KL. But when the craving comes, I lose my senses and just follows my heart :D.

I have yet found any roti in Guangzhou. Been to a banana leaf restaurant before but the standard is a far cry from Hong Kong, never mind the authentic southeast asian food from home. So two days before my return, I decided to stock up roti in my fridge.

I was a bit under the weather earlier this week, after I wrote the "one week in GZ" post. Was feeling rather out of place here, a bit homesick, miss family and friends, food, hot weather, my regular recreation activities that I have now lost in GZ (my trial workout in a local gym turned out to be a total disaster for me and spoilt my entire day!), etc. So a mixture of feelings stirred my emotions.

Went browsing around the Friendship Store supermarket after lunch, and brightened up my entire spirit! Friendship Store (友谊商店) is China's premier department store, recommended in many travel guides for tourists as they carry genuine and good quality product. This is where you find all the designer labels from Louis Vuitton to Prada. Mikael and I went there to find some shoe polish cream, and decided to check out the supermarket for some Christmas dinner cooking ingredients.

I discovered so many treasures in this supermarket! First, we found just exactly the kind of shoe cream we have been looking for around town for 2 days, then there are nice imported cookies, all kinds of pre-mixed cooking sauce, and most exciting of all, I saw curry paste and frozen roti canai!!! I almost cheered in tears, and my eyes were sparkling so bright man!

It is unbelievable how my entire emotion was flipped just in a snap, miraculously! Happy, happy, so happy! I was so happy that I couldn't resist but went to stroll around the supermarket again after lunch today. Nothing in mind that I need to buy, just browsing and that alone makes my day :D. Call me silly, but I was truly desperate! :)

5 comments:

io said...

:D silly you! but i can definitely imagine that. I am only away for a few days in the total stranger country and already homesick!

Anonymous said...

hah can see you really very happy to see that err Roti Canai ... but HEY... "teng chu tong sin la" :)

Anonymous said...

opss comment is from Hami :).

Anonymous said...

Roti canai costs only RM0.70 per piece lah! Hahaha...

But I seldom eat plain roti, normaly with eggs and onions!

Anonymous said...

Ah, is that Friendship Store the same with what we have here long time ago?