I need to recruit a researcher. Started screening some resumes today.
There were only about five resumes passed to me. And apprently these have been screened once by our recruitment agency. Only those who meet our criteria as specified in the ad, and graduated from first tier universities would be considered. These candidates have earlier taken a screening test provided by our company and their test results are attached with the resume.
Here, we employ the same set of test that is used in Hong Kong, so I am very familiar with the test structure and the normal level attained.
First of all, I was quite shocked seeing the low competence. I expected a low level of English, but not to a level low enough to surprise me. I see word like "presser" which is supposed to mean "pressure". Some don't even understand the questions well enough to answer them.
Then there is a classic one that prompted me to write this entry.
I was browsing through the "past working experience" of a candidate. Just quickly browsing through. Then suddenly one word caught my attention.
Mental.
It was like - my eye sight had gone passed the word, and my mind clicked with a 2 seconds, delay, prompted me to rewind and review the same sentence.
Working experience: xxx Mental Manufacturer Co.
I was wondering for a few seconds, what exactly does a mental manufacturer do. Then I decide to go to the Chinese version of the CV (yeah, I skipped this one lor earlier).
Oh... it was supposed to be xxx Metal Manufacturer lah!
All five resumes are in my trash bin now.
There were only about five resumes passed to me. And apprently these have been screened once by our recruitment agency. Only those who meet our criteria as specified in the ad, and graduated from first tier universities would be considered. These candidates have earlier taken a screening test provided by our company and their test results are attached with the resume.
Here, we employ the same set of test that is used in Hong Kong, so I am very familiar with the test structure and the normal level attained.
First of all, I was quite shocked seeing the low competence. I expected a low level of English, but not to a level low enough to surprise me. I see word like "presser" which is supposed to mean "pressure". Some don't even understand the questions well enough to answer them.
Then there is a classic one that prompted me to write this entry.
I was browsing through the "past working experience" of a candidate. Just quickly browsing through. Then suddenly one word caught my attention.
Mental.
It was like - my eye sight had gone passed the word, and my mind clicked with a 2 seconds, delay, prompted me to rewind and review the same sentence.
Working experience: xxx Mental Manufacturer Co.
I was wondering for a few seconds, what exactly does a mental manufacturer do. Then I decide to go to the Chinese version of the CV (yeah, I skipped this one lor earlier).
Oh... it was supposed to be xxx Metal Manufacturer lah!
All five resumes are in my trash bin now.
5 comments:
hahaha..
hahahahahaha...
LOL..
dun be so discrimnating la u...u r also C I N A after ppl kick u out of the country
Muahahahah! Maggie..really funny lar! I thought our England is bad and it's even worst in China!
Maggie, maybe they are bad in English but they are dedicated workers...well, no harm trying training one leh!
Hahaha... Merely typing mistake, typing mistake!
P/s: How do you know when someone leave a comment for you?
Hmmm.... susah also like that ya...but, mental manufacturer is a bit too errr... much I think. We have one candidate from that country too -- one of my Holland colleague can't stand it when she wrote "Microsoft Words".
Post a Comment